- Software selectable overcurrent protection levels and variable protect detection times
- 4 discharge overcurrent thresholds
- 4 short circuit thresholds
- 4 charge overcurrent thresholds
- 8 overcurrent delay times (Charge)
- 8 overcurrent delay times (Discharge)
- 2 short circuit delay times (Discharge)
- Automatic FET turn-off and cell balance disable on reaching external (battery) or internal (IC) temperature limit.
- Automatic override of cell balance on reaching internal (IC) temperature limit.
- Fast short circuit pack shutdown
- Can use current sense resistor, FET rDS(ON), or Sense FET for overcurrent detection.
- Four battery backed software controlled flags.
- Allows three different FET controls:
- Back-to-back N-Channel FETs for charge and discharge control
- Single N-Channel discharge FET.
- Single N-Channel FET for discharge, with separate, optional (smaller) back-to-back N-channel FETs for charge.
- Integrated Charge/Discharge FET Drive Circuitry with 200µA (typ) turn-on current and 150mA (typ) Discharge FET turn-off current.
- 10% Accurate 3.3V voltage regulator (minimum 25mA out with external NPN transistor having current gain of 70).
- Monitored cell voltage output stable in 100µs.
- Internal Cell balancing FETs handle up to 200mA of balancing current for each cell (with the number of cells being balanced limited by the maximum package power dissipation of 400mW).
- Simple I2C host interface
- Sleep operation with programmable negative edge or positive edge wake-up.
- <10µA Sleep Mode
- Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
The ISL9208 is an overcurrent protection device and analog front end for a microcontroller in a multi-cell Li-ion battery pack. The ISL9208 supports battery pack configurations consisting of 5-cells to 7-cells in series and 1 or more cells in parallel. The ISL9208 provides integral overcurrent protection circuitry, short circuit protection, an internal 3.3V voltage regulator, internal cell balancing switches, cell voltage monitor level shifters, and drive circuitry for external FET devices for control of pack charge and discharge.
Selectable overcurrent and short circuit thresholds reside in internal RAM registers. An external microcontroller sets the thresholds by setting register values through an I2C serial interface. Internal registers also contain the detection delays for overcurrent and short circuit conditions.
Using an internal analog multiplexer the ISL9208 provides monitoring of each cell voltage plus internal and external temperature by a separate microcontroller with an A/D converter. Software on this microcontroller implements all battery pack control functionality, except for overcurrent and short circuit shutdown.
- Power Tools
- Battery Backup Systems
- Portable Test Equipment
- Medical Systems
- Hybrid Vehicle
- Military Electronics
|ISL9208EVAL2Z User Guide|
ISL9208EVAL2Z (Rev. A) User Guide
07 Mar 2018
|07 Mar 2018||2.04 MB|
|ISL9208EVAL1Z User Guide|
ISL9208EVAL1Z (Rev D) User Guide
07 Mar 2018
|07 Mar 2018||1.15 MB|
|AN1681: Grounding Techniques|
30 Jan 2018
|30 Jan 2018||496 KB|
|AN1684: Nonideality of Ground|
Nonideality of Ground
30 Jan 2018
|30 Jan 2018||392 KB|
|AN1333: Designing Multi-Cell Li-ion Battery Packs Using the ISL9208 Analog Front End|
Designing Multi-Cell Li-ion Battery Packs Using the ISL9208 Analog Front End
19 Jan 2018
|19 Jan 2018||1.1 MB|
Multi-Cell Li-ion Battery Pack OCP/Analog Front End
14 Nov 2017
|14 Nov 2017||1.13 MB|
|ISL92xx Evaluation Kit Software Release v1.41|
ISL92xx Evaluation Kit Software Release v1.41
31 Oct 2014
|ZIP||31 Oct 2014||1.85 MB|
|ISL9216EVAL1 User Guide|
ISL9216EVAL1 User Guide
16 Feb 2018
|16 Feb 2018||1.3 MB|
|ISL9208EVAL1 User Guide|
ISL9208EVAL1 (Rev C) User Guide
16 Feb 2018
|16 Feb 2018||1.14 MB|
|Five Easy Steps to Create a Multi-Load Power Solution|
30 Jan 2017
|30 Jan 2017||502 KB|