- Software Selectable Protection Levels and Variable Protect Detection/Release Times
- Integrated FET Drive Circuitry
- Cell Voltage and Current Monitoring
- 0.5% Accurate Voltage Regulator
- Integrated 4kbit EEPROM
- Flexible Power Management with 1µA Sleep Mode
- Cell Balancing Control Benefit
- Optimize protection for chosen cells to allow maximum use of pack capacity.
- Reduce component count and cost
- Simplify implementation of gas gauge
- Accurate voltage and current measurements
- Record battery history to optimize gas gauge, track pack failures and monitor system use
- Reduce power to extend battery life
- Increase battery capacity and improve cycle life battery life
The X3102 is a protection and monitor IC for use in battery packs consisting of 3 series Lithium-Ion battery cells. The device provides internal over-charge, over-discharge, and overcurrent protection circuitry, internal EEPROM memory, an internal voltage regulator, and internal drive circuitry for external FET devices that control cell charge, discharge, and cell voltage balancing.
Over-charge, over-discharge, and overcurrent thresholds reside in an internal EEPROM memory register and are selected independently via software using a 3MHz SPI serial interface. Detection and time-out delays can also be individually varied using external capacitors.
Using an internal analog multiplexer, the X3102 allows battery parameters such as cell voltage and current (using a sense resistor) to be monitored externally by a separate microcontroller with A/D converter. Software on this microcontroller implements gas gauge and cell balancing functionality in software.
The X3102 contains a current sense amplifier. Selectable gains of 10, 25, 80 and 160 allow an external 10 bit A/D converter to achieve better resolution than a more expensive 14 bit converter.
An internal 4kbit EEPROM memory featuring IDLock™, allows the designer to partition and "lock in" written battery cell/pack data.
The X3102 is housed in a 28 Pin TSSOP package.