- Unique compensation-free design – always stable
- Output voltage range: 0.54V to 5.5V
- Input voltage range: 4.5V to 14V
- 1% output voltage accuracy over line, load and temperature
- Charge mode control achieves fast transient response, reduced output capacitance and provides output stability without compensation
- Single 2-phase output, up to 8 phases with multiple devices
- Switching frequency range 200kHz to 1.33MHz
- Proprietary single wire DDC (Digital-DC) serial bus enables voltage sequencing and fault spreading with all other Intersil digital power ICs
- Tracking of an external power supply in the single 2-phase configuration
- Cycle-by-cycle inductor peak current protection
- Digital fault protection for output voltage UV/OV, input voltage UV/OV, temperature and MOSFET driver voltage
- 10-bit cycle-by-cycle average output current measurement with adjustable gain settings for sensing with high current, low DCR inductors
- 10-bit monitor ADC measures input voltage, input current, output voltage, internal, external temperature, driver voltage
- Configurable to use standalone MOSFET drivers or integrated driver-MOSFET (DrMOS) devices
- Nonvolatile memory (NVRAM) for storing operating parameters and fault events.
- PMBus™ compliant
The ZL8801 is a dual phase digital DC/DC controller. Up to four ZL8801s (8 phases) can be operated in parallel to provide additional output current.
The ZL8801 supports a wide range of output voltages (0.54V to 5.5V) operating from input voltages as low as 4.5V up to 14V.
With its fully digital ChargeMode™ Control loop the ZL8801 can respond to a transient load step within a single switching cycle. This unique compensation-free modulation technique allows designs to meet transient specifications with minimum output capacitance, thus saving cost and board space.
Intersil’s proprietary single wire DDC (Digital-DC™) serial bus enables the ZL8801 to communicate between other Intersil digital power ICs. By using the DDC, the ZL8801 achieves complex functions such as inter-IC phase current balancing, sequencing and fault spreading, eliminating complicated power supply managers with numerous external discrete components.
The ZL8801 features cycle-by-cycle overcurrent protection and protection for overvoltage, undervoltage, over-temperature and MOSFET driver under and overvoltage protection. A snapshot parametric capture feature allows users to take a snapshot of operating and fault data during normal or fault conditions.
Integrated Low Drop-Out (LDO) regulators allow the ZL8801 to be operated from a single input supply eliminating the need for additional linear regulators. A dedicated 5V VDRV LDO output can be used to power external drivers or DrMOS devices.
With full PMBus™ compliance, the ZL8801 is capable of measuring and reporting input voltage, input current, output voltage, output current as well as the device’s internal temperature, an external temperature and an auxiliary voltage input.
- Servers/storage equipment
- Telecom/datacom equipment
- Power supplies (memory, DSP, ASIC, FPGA)
|VIN (min) (V)||4.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|VIN (max) (V)||14||14||14||14|
|VOUT (min) (V)||0.54||0.54||0.54||0.54|
|VOUT (max) (V)||5.5||5.5||5.5||4|
|IOUT (max) (A)||>40||>40||>40||>40|
|IQ||26 mA||26 mA||26 mA||16 mA|
|Switching Freq. (min)||0.2 MHz||0.2 MHz||0.2 MHz||0.2 MHz|
|Switching Freq. (max)||1.33 MHz||1.33 MHz||1.33 MHz||1.4 MHz|
|Peak Efficiency (%)||94||94||94||94|
|Integrated MOSFET Driver(s)||No||No||No||No|
|Integrated Power Mgmt||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Dual Phase PMBus™ ChargeMode™ Control DC/DC Digital Controller
27 Mar 2015
|27 Mar 2015||1.22 MB|
|ZL8801-2PH-DEMO1Z Design Files|
ZL8801-2PH-DEMO1Z Design Files
07 Nov 2014
|ZIP||07 Nov 2014||1.21 MB|
|ZL8801-4PH-DEMO1Z Design Files|
ZL8801-4PH-DEMO1Z Design Files
11 Nov 2014
|ZIP||11 Nov 2014||1.48 MB|
|PowerNavigator Software v5.3.45|
Use the PowerNavigator GUI to setup and configure supported digital power devices.
28 Oct 2016
|ZIP||28 Oct 2016||65.74 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility v5.3.45|
Production Configuration Utility software for quick loading and verification of config files into Intersil digital power controller/modules
02 Mar 2015
|ZIP||02 Mar 2015||65.74 MB|
|PowerNavigator User Guide for POL|
Setup and configure a point of load (POL) digital power device using Intersil's PowerNavigator GUI.
28 Oct 2016
|28 Oct 2016||7.14 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility User Guide|
User guide for production configuration utility software, version 5.3.45
28 Oct 2016
|28 Oct 2016||714 KB|
|PMBus Interface Install Guide - Win7 x86 and x64|
Intersil PMBus interface installation directions for Windows 7 x86 and x64.
20 Nov 2014
|20 Nov 2014||786 KB|
|ZL8801-4PH-DEMO1Z User Guide|
ZL8801-4PH-DEMO1Z Demonstration Board User Guide
19 Nov 2014
|19 Nov 2014||2.63 MB|
|ZL8801-2PH-DEMO1Z User Guide|
ZL8800-2PH-DEMO1Z Demonstration Board User Guide
19 Nov 2014
|19 Nov 2014||909 KB|
|ZLUSBEVAL3Z User Guide|
USB to PMBus Adapter
13 Nov 2014
|13 Nov 2014||226 KB|
|Five Easy Steps to Create a Multi-Load Power Solution|
30 Jan 2017
|30 Jan 2017||502 KB|
|Digital-DC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)|
Digital-DC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
17 Nov 2014
|17 Nov 2014||194 KB|