- Integrates Three Major Functions
- Smart Power Plug communications
- Programmable power sequencing
- Programmable Hot Swap controller
- Smart Power Plug™
- Intelligent board insertion allows verification of board and power supply resources prior to system insertion.
- Fault detection register records the cause of the faults
- Soft extraction
- Soft re-insertion
- Remote gate shutdown/turn on
- Power ID/manufacturing ID memory (2kb of EEPROM)
- Programmable Power Sequencing
- Sequence up to 5 DC/DC converters.
- Four independent voltage enable pins
- Four programmable time delay circuits
- Soft Power Sequencing - restart sequence without power cycling.
- Hot Swap Controller
- Programmable overvoltage and undervoltage protection
- Undervoltage lockout for battery/redundant supplies
- Programmable slew rate for external FET gate control
- Electronic circuit breaker - overcurrent detection and gate shut-off
- Programmable overcurrent limit during Insertion
- Programmable hardshort retry with retry failure flag
- Typically operates from -30V to -80V. Tolerates transients to -200V (limited by external components)
- Available Packages
- 32-lead Quad No-Lead Frame (QFN)
The X80000 contains three major functions: a power communications controller, a power sequencing controller, and a hotswap controller.
The power communications controller allows smart power supply control via the backplane using the SMBus protocol. The system can check for voltage, current, and manufacturing ID compliance before board insertion. The power distribution network can monitor the status of the negative voltage supply, DC voltage supplies, and hardshort events by accessing the Fault Detection Register and General Purpose EEPROM of the device. Each device has a unique slave address for identification.
The power sequencer controller time sequences up to five DC-DC modules. The X80000 allows for various hardwired configurations, either parallel or relay sequencing modes. The power good, enable and voltage good signals provide for flexible DC-DC timing configurations. Each voltage enable signal has a programmable delay. In addition, the voltage good signals can be monitored remotely via the fault detection register (thru the SMBus).
The hot swap controller allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane without turning off the main power supply. The X80000 family of devices offers a modular, power distribution approach by providing flexibility to solve the hotswap and power sequencing issues for insertion, operations, and extraction. Hardshort Detection and Retry with Delay, Noise filtering, Insertion Overcurrent Bypass, and Gate Current selection are some of the programmable features of the device.
During insertion, the gate of an external power MOSFET is clamped low to suppress contact bounce. The undervoltage/overvoltage circuits and the power on reset circuitry suppress the gate turn on until the mechanical bounce has ended. The X80000 turns on the gate with a user set slew rate to limit the inrush current and incorporates an electronic circuit breaker set by a sense resistor. After the load is successfully charged, the PWRGD signal is asserted; indicating that the device is ready to power sequence the DC-DC power bricks.
- -48V Hot Swap Power Backplane/Distribution Central Office, Ethernet for VOIP
- Card Insertion Detection
- Power Sequencing DC-DC/Power Bricks
- IP Phone Applications
- Databus Power Interfacing
- Custom Industrial Power Backplanes
- Distributed Power Systems