Digital Multiphase Controllers & Smart Power Stage for 10A‑450A Solutions
Intersil's ISL681xx and ISL691xx digital multiphase PWM controllers provide up to seven phases that are assignable in any combination across two outputs. They combine with smart power stages, like the ISL99227, to provide a scalable solution from 10A to 450A. The result is enhanced power optimization and more energy-efficient networking and communications infrastructure equipment.
Intersil's easy-to-use PowerNavigator™ GUI software supports the ISL681xx and ISL691xx products. PowerNavigator connects to development boards communicating across PMBus and AVSBus, allowing engineers to set up and control all parameters, optimize efficiency via precise current thresholds for adding/dropping phases, and adjust the loop tuning.
Key Differences in Family
|Product||Phase Configuration Output X/Output Y||Intel VR Specification Supported||IINSense||Package||Datashort
(Datasheet is Restricted)
|ISL69125||X+Y ≤ 4||VR13||Internal/External||TQFN 40 Ld, 5x5mm||isl69125.pdf|
|ISL69124||X+Y ≤ 4||VR13||Internal||TQFN 40 Ld, 5x5mm||isl69124.pdf|
|ISL69127||X = 1, Y ≤ 6||VR13||Internal||QFN 48 Ld, 6x6mm||isl69127.pdf|
|ISL69128||X+Y ≤ 7||VR13/IMVP8||Internal||QFN 48 Ld, 6x6mm||isl69128.pdf|
- Advanced linear digital modulation scheme
- Zero latency synthetic current control for excellent HF current balance
- Auto phase add/drop with a boot refresh function for excellent load vs efficiency profile
- Dual edge modulation for faster transient response
- Excellent DVID performance
- Flexible phase assignment from 0 to 7 phases per output
- Up to 1MHz switching frequency operation for high density designs
- Diode braking for overshoot reduction
- Diode emulation for enhanced light-load efficiency
- Differential remote voltage sensing supports ±0.5% closed-loop system accuracy over load, line, and temperature
- Highly accurate current sensing for excellent load line regulation and accurate OCP
- Supports ISL99227 60A smart power stage
- Supports DCR sense with integrated temperature compensation
- Supports phase doubler (ISL6617A) for up to 14-phase operation
- Comprehensive fault management enables high reliability systems
- Pulse-by-pulse phase current limiting
- Total output current protection
- Output and input OV/UV protection
- Open voltage sense detect
- Black box recording capability for faults
- Configurable Catastrophic Failure Protection (CFP) flag output
- Intuitive configuration via PowerNavigator™
- SMBus/PMBus v1.3 compatible
- Up to 2MHz bus interface
- NVM to store up to 8 configurations
- Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
The ISL69128 is a digital dual output, flexible multiphase (X+Y ≤ 7) PWM controller designed to be compliant with Intel VR13 and IMVP8 specifications. The digital multiphase controller can be configured to support any desired phase assignments up to a maximum of seven phases across the two outputs (X and Y). For example, 6+1, 5+2, 4+2, 3+3, 3+2, or even single output operation as a 7+0 configuration are supported. ISL69128, with a flexible X+Y ≤ 7 phase assignment, supports SVID interface along with PMBus 1.3 specifications, making it ideal for controlling the microprocessor core, memory, and system rails per Intel VR13 or IMVP8 platforms.
The ISL69128 utilizes Intersil’s proprietary digital linear synthetic current modulation scheme to achieve the industry’s best combination of transient response and ease of tuning while addressing the challenges of powering the latest generation of Intel microprocessors. Device configuration and monitoring are accomplished via Intersil’s intuitive PowerNavigator™ GUI. Diode emulation and automatic phase add/drop features allow the user to extract maximum efficiency from the converter regardless of load conditions.
The ISL69128 supports a comprehensive fault management system to enable the design of highly reliable systems. From a multitiered overcurrent protection scheme to the configurable power-good and catastrophic fault protection flags, virtually any need is accommodated.
With minimal external components, easy configuration, robust fault management, and highly accurate regulation capability, implementing a high-performance, multiphase regulator has never been easier.
- Core, memory and system rails for Intel VR13 and IMVP8 based processors
- High performance servers core or memory rail
- High performance graphics rail
- High-end desktop with overclocking option
- Networking, data center, storage, and general purpose
Digital Multiphase Controllers Named Product of the Year!
Intersil's digital multiphase controllers and SPS launched this year to broad acclaim from industry pundits. To top it off, the product family was recognized as product of the year by industry magazine, Electronic Products. Read more »
|Max # of Outputs||2||2||2||2|
|Max # of Phases||7||4||4||7|
|VIN (min) (V)||4.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|VIN (max) (V)||25||25||25||25|
|VOUT (min) (V)||0||0||0||0|
|VOUT (max) (V)||3.05||3.05||3.05||3.05|
|IOUT (max) (A)||450||240||240||450|
|VBIAS (V)||3.3V ±5%||3.3V ±5%||3.3V ±5%||3.3V ±5%|
|Applications||Core and memory for Intel VR13 based designs, High performance server core and memory rails, High performance graphics rails, Networking, data center, storage, and general purpose||Core and memory for Intel VR13 based designs, High performance server core and memory rails, High performance graphics rails, Networking, data center, storage, and general purpose||Core and memory for Intel VR13 based designs, High performance server core and memory rails, High performance graphics rails, Networking, data center, storage, and general purpose||Networking equipment, Telecom/datacom equipment, Server/storage equipment, Point-of-load power supply (Memory, DSP, ASIC, FPGA)|
|ISL69128 Data Short|
Digital Dual Output, 7-Phase Configurable, VR13/IMVP8 PWM Controller
13 Sep 2016
|13 Sep 2016||83 KB|
|PowerNavigator Software v5.3.45|
Use the PowerNavigator GUI to setup and configure supported digital power devices.
28 Oct 2016
|ZIP||28 Oct 2016||65.74 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility v5.3.45|
Production Configuration Utility software for quick loading and verification of config files into Intersil digital power controller/modules
02 Mar 2015
|ZIP||02 Mar 2015||65.74 MB|
|PowerNavigator User Guide for Digital Multiphase|
Setup and configure a digital multiphase power device using Intersil's PowerNavigator GUI version 5.3.45 or later.
28 Oct 2016
|28 Oct 2016||5.91 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility User Guide|
User guide for production configuration utility software, version 5.3.45
28 Oct 2016
|28 Oct 2016||714 KB|
|Five Easy Steps to Create a Multi-Load Power Solution|
30 Jan 2017
|30 Jan 2017||502 KB|
|Powering IoT Infrastructure Systems with Digital Multiphase|
Examine the evolution of multiphase converter architecture from analog to digital implementations, and compare various control mode schemes.
16 Nov 2016
|16 Nov 2016||449 KB|