Digital Multiphase Controllers & Smart Power Stage for 10A‑450A Solutions
Intersil's ISL681xx and ISL691xx digital multiphase PWM controllers provide up to seven phases that are assignable in any combination across two outputs. They combine with smart power stages, like the ISL99227, to provide a scalable solution from 10A to 450A. The result is enhanced power optimization and more energy-efficient networking and communications infrastructure equipment.
Intersil's easy-to-use PowerNavigator™ GUI software supports the ISL681xx and ISL691xx products. PowerNavigator connects to development boards communicating across PMBus and AVSBus, allowing engineers to set up and control all parameters, optimize efficiency via precise current thresholds for adding/dropping phases, and adjust the loop tuning.
Key Differences in Family
|Product||Phase Configuration Output X/Output Y||Intel VR Specification Supported||IINSense||Package||Datashort
(Datasheet is Restricted)
|ISL69125||X+Y ≤ 4||VR13||Internal/External||TQFN 40 Ld, 5x5mm||isl69125.pdf|
|ISL69124||X+Y ≤ 4||VR13||Internal||TQFN 40 Ld, 5x5mm||isl69124.pdf|
|ISL69127||X = 1, Y ≤ 6||VR13||Internal||QFN 48 Ld, 6x6mm||isl69127.pdf|
|ISL69128||X+Y ≤ 7||VR13/IMVP8||Internal||QFN 48 Ld, 6x6mm||isl69128.pdf|
- Advanced linear digital modulation scheme
- Zero latency synthetic current control for excellent high frequency current balance
- Auto phase add/drop for excellent load vs efficiency profile
- Excellent DVID performance
- Dual edge modulation for faster transient response
- Flexible phase assignment from 0 to 4 phases per output
- Up to 1MHz operation for high density designs
- Diode braking for overshoot reduction
- Diode emulation for enhanced light-load efficiency
- Differential remote voltage sensing supports ±0.5% closed-loop system accuracy over load, line and temperature
- Highly accurate current sensing for excellent load line regulation and accurate OCP
- Supports ISL99227 60A smart power stage
- Supports DCR sense with integrated temperature compensation
- Supports external input current sense required for NVDIMM
- Comprehensive fault management enables high reliability systems
- Pulse-by-pulse phase current limiting
- Total output current protection
- Output and input OV/UV protection
- Open voltage sense detect
- Black box recording capability for faults
- Configurable Catastrophic Failure Protection (CFP) flag output
- Intuitive configuration via PowerNavigator™
- SMBus/PMBus v1.3 compatible
- Up to 2MHz bus interface
- NVM to store up to 8 configurations
- Pb-free (RoHS compliant)
The ISL69125 is a digital dual output, flexible multiphase (X+Y ≤ 4) PWM controller designed to be compliant with Intel VR13 specifications. The digital multiphase controller can be configured to support any desired phase assignments up to a maximum of 4 phases across the two outputs (X and Y). For example, 3+1, 2+2, or even a single output operation as a 4+0 configuration are supported. With a flexible X+Y ≤ 4 phase assignment along with PMBus and SVID interfaces, it is ideal for controlling the microprocessor core, memory and system rails of Intel VR13 platforms.
The ISL69125 utilizes Intersil’s proprietary digital linear synthetic current modulation scheme to achieve the industry’s best combination of transient response and ease of tuning while addressing the challenges of powering the latest generation of Intel microprocessors. Device configuration and telemetry monitoring are accomplished via Intersil’s intuitive PowerNavigator™ GUI. Diode emulation and automatic phase add/drop features allow the user to extract maximum efficiency from the converter regardless of load conditions.
The ISL69125 supports a comprehensive fault management system to enable the design of highly reliable systems. From an overcurrent protection scheme including peak and average detection, to the configurable power-good and catastrophic fault protection flags, any need is accommodated.
With minimal external components, ability to store 8 configurations, robust fault management, and highly accurate regulation capability, implementing a high-performance, multiphase regulator has never been easier.
- Core and memory for Intel VR13 based designs
- High performance server core and memory rails
- High performance graphics rails
- Networking, data center, storage and general purpose
Digital Multiphase Controllers Named Product of the Year!
Intersil's digital multiphase controllers and SPS launched this year to broad acclaim from industry pundits. To top it off, the product family was recognized as product of the year by industry magazine, Electronic Products. Read more »
|Max # of Outputs||2||2||2||2|
|Max # of Phases||4||4||4||4|
|VIN (min) (V)||4.5||4.5||4.5||4.5|
|VIN (max) (V)||18||18||18||18|
|VOUT (min) (V)||0||0||0||0|
|VOUT (max) (V)||3.05||3.05||3.05||3.05|
|IOUT (max) (A)||240||240||240||240|
|VBIAS (V)||3.3V ±5%||3.3V ±5%||3.3V ±5%||3.3V ±5%|
|Applications||Core and memory for Intel VR13 based designs, High performance server core and memory rails, High performance graphics rails, Networking, data center, storage, and general purpose||Core and memory for Intel VR13 based designs, High performance server core and memory rails, High performance graphics rails, Networking, data center, storage, and general purpose||Networking equipment, Telecom/datacom equipment, Server/storage equipment, Point-of-load power supply (Memory, DSP, ASIC, FPGA)||Networking equipment, Telecom/datacom equipment, Server/storage equipment, Point-of-load power supply (Memory, DSP, ASIC, FPGA)|
|ISL69125 Data Short|
Digital Dual Output, 4-Phase Configurable, VR13 PWM Controller
27 Oct 2016
|27 Oct 2016||83 KB|
|PowerNavigator Software v5.3.45|
Use the PowerNavigator GUI to setup and configure supported digital power devices.
28 Oct 2016
|ZIP||28 Oct 2016||65.74 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility v5.3.45|
Production Configuration Utility software for quick loading and verification of config files into Intersil digital power controller/modules
02 Mar 2015
|ZIP||02 Mar 2015||65.74 MB|
|PowerNavigator User Guide for Digital Multiphase|
Setup and configure a digital multiphase power device using Intersil's PowerNavigator GUI version 5.3.45 or later.
28 Oct 2016
|28 Oct 2016||5.91 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility User Guide|
User guide for production configuration utility software, version 5.3.45
28 Oct 2016
|28 Oct 2016||714 KB|
|Powering IoT Infrastructure Systems with Digital Multiphase|
Examine the evolution of multiphase converter architecture from analog to digital implementations, and compare various control mode schemes.
16 Nov 2016
|16 Nov 2016||449 KB|