- Drop in Replacement for MAX563, with Improved Output Voltage (±5V) for Enhanced Noise Immunity
- Available as ±15kV ESD Protected Version (ISL8563E)
- Meets EIA/TIA-562, and EIA/TIA-232 Specifications at 3V
- Latch-Up Free
- On-Chip Voltage Converters Require Only Four External 0.1µF Capacitors
- Receivers Active in Powerdown
- Receiver Hysteresis For Improved Noise Immunity
- Guaranteed Minimum Data Rate 250kbps
- Guaranteed Minimum Slew Rate 4V/µs
- Wide Power Supply Range Single +3V to +5.5V
- Low Supply Current in Powerdown State 1µA
The Intersil ISL8563 contains 3.0V to 5.5V powered transmitters/receivers which meet ElA/TIA-562 and ElA/TIA-232 specifications, even at VCC = 3.0V. Targeted applications are PDAs, Palmtops, and notebook and laptop computers where the low operational, and even lower standby, power consumption is critical. Efficient on-chip charge pumps, coupled with a manual powerdown function, reduce the standby supply current to a 1µA trickle. Small footprint packaging, and the use of small, low value capacitors ensure board space savings as well. Data rates greater than 250kbps are guaranteed at worst case load conditions. The ISL8563 is fully compatible with 3.3V only systems, mixed 3.3V and 5.0V systems, and 5.0V only systems.
This product features an improved charge pump which delivers ±5V transmitter supplies, allowing the use of the ISL8563 in RS-562 and RS-232 applications. RS-562 applications will benefit from the improved noise immunity afforded by the ±5V output swing capability.
Table 1 summarizes the features of the device represented by this data sheet, while Application Note AN9863 summarizes the features of each device comprising the 3V RS-232 family.
For a drop-in compatible part with ±15kV ESD protection, please see the ISL8563E data sheet.
- Any System Requiring RS-562/RS-232 Communication Ports
- Battery Powered, Hand-Held, and Portable Equipment
- Laptop Computers, Notebooks, Palmtops
- Digital Cameras
- Bar Code Readers
|AN9863: 3V to +5.5V, 250k-1Mbps, RS-232 Transmitters/Receivers|
3V to +5.5V, 250k-1Mbps, RS-232 Transmitters/Receivers
13 Nov 2014
|13 Nov 2014||95 KB|
+3V To +5.5V, 1uA, 250kbps, RS-232 Transmitters/Receivers
17 Nov 2014
|17 Nov 2014||254 KB|
|ISL8563 IBIS Model|
ISL8563 IBIS Model
13 Nov 2014
|IBS||13 Nov 2014||40 KB|