- Input/output voltage range: 5V to 55V, withstands 60V transients
- Supports synchronous or standard boost topology
- Peak current mode control with adjustable slope compensation
- Secondary average current control loop
- Integrated 5V 2A sourcing/3A sinking N-channel MOSFET drivers
- Switching frequency: 50kHz to 1.1MHz per phase
- External synchronization
- Programmable minimum duty cycle
- Programmable adaptive dead time control
- Optional diode emulation and phase dropping
- PWM and analog track function
- Forced PWM operation with negative current limiting and protection
- Comprehensive protection/fault reporting
- Selectable hiccup or latch-off fault response
- I2C/PMBus™ compatible digital interface
- AEC-Q100 qualified, Grade 1: -40°C to +125°C
- 6mmx6mm 40 Ld WFQFN (Wettable Flank QFN) package
The ISL78229 is an automotive grade (AEC-Q100 Grade 1), 2-phase 55V synchronous boost controller intended to simplify the design of high power boost applications. It integrates strong half-bridge drivers, an analog/digital tracking input, comprehensive protection functions and a PMBus™ interface for added control and telemetry.
ISL78229 enables a simple, modular design for systems requiring power and thermal scalability. It offers peak-current mode control for fast line response and simple compensation. Its synchronous 2-phase architecture enables it to support higher current while reducing the size of input and output capacitors. The integrated drivers feature programmable adaptive dead time control offering flexibility in power stage design. ISL78229 offers a 90°output clock and supports 1-, 2- and 4-phases.
ISL78229 offers a highly robust solution for the most demanding environments. Its unique soft-start control prevents large negative current even in extreme cases, such as a restart under high output prebias on high volume capacitances. It also offers two levels of cycle-by-cycle overcurrent protection, average current limiting, input OVP, output UVP/OVP and internal OTP. A thermistor input is provided for external OTP for the power-stage elements. In the event of a fault, the ISL78229 offers individually programmable latch-off or hiccup recovery for each fault type.
Also integrated are several functions that ease system design. A unique tracking input is available that can control the output voltage, allowing it to track either a digital duty cycle (PWM) signal or an analog reference. ISL78229 provides input average current limiting so the system can deliver transient bursts of high load current while limiting the average current to avoid overheating. Finally, the ISL78229 PMBus™ interface provides fault reporting, telemetry and system control to support functional safety qualification.
- Automotive power system (e.g., 12V to 24V, 12V to 48V, etc.)
- Trunk audio amplifier
- Start-stop system
- Automotive boost applications
- Industrial and telecommunication power supplies
|VIN (min) (V)||5||5||5.6||5.6|
|VIN (max) (V)||55||55||40||40|
|VOUT (min) (V)||5||5||5.6||5.6|
|VOUT (max) (V)||55||55|
|IOUT (max) (A)||>10||>10||>15||>10|
|VBIAS (V)||4.75 to 5.5||4.75 to 5.5||4.75 to 5.25||4.75 to 5.25|
|Applications||Automotive power system (e.g., 12V to 24V, 12V to 48V, etc.), Trunk audio amplifier, Start-stop system, Automotive boost applications, Industrial and telecommunication power supplies||Automotive power system (e.g., 12V to 24V, 12V to 48V, etc.), Trunk audio amplifier, Start-stop system, Automotive boost applications, Industrial and telecommunication power supplies||Automotive Power Supplies, Start/Stop DC/DC Converter, Fuel Pumps, Injection System, Audio Amplifier Power Supplies, Telecom and Industrial Power Supplies||Automotive Power Supplies, Start/Stop DC/DC Converter, Fuel Pumps, Injection System, Audio Amplifier Power Supplies, Telecom and Industrial Power Supplies|
|Max # of Outputs||1||1||1||1|
|Max # of Phases||2||2||6||4|
|Integrated MOSFET Driver(s)||Yes||Yes||No||No|
2-Phase Boost Controller with Drivers and I2C/PMBus™
12 Feb 2016
|12 Feb 2016||1.98 MB|
|ISL78229EV1Z Design Files|
BOM, Schematic and Art Files for the ISL78229EV1Z Evaluation Board
|PowerNavigator Software v5.3.32|
The latest version of PowerNavigator featuring Powermap, Rail Inspector, RailScope and a new look and feel.
20 Jun 2016
|ZIP||20 Jun 2016||64.68 MB|
|Production Configuration Utility v5.3.32|
Production Configuration Utility software for quick loading and verification of config files into Intersil digital power controller/modules
02 Mar 2015
|ZIP||02 Mar 2015||64.84 MB|
|PowerNavigator 5.3 User Guide|
Setup and configure a digital power device using Intersil's PowerNavigator GUI.
01 Mar 2016
|01 Mar 2016||5.49 MB|
|ISL78229EV1Z User Guide|
ISL78229EV1Z Evaluation Board User Guide
20 Jan 2016
|20 Jan 2016||2.02 MB|
|How to Efficiently Boost Power in High Voltage Automotive Applications|
18 Apr 2016
|18 Apr 2016||315 KB|
- Does the ISL78229 shut down at over current (OC)?
- Can the ISL78229 be used for 12V to 48V battery charging system?
- Can the ISL78229 be configured to operate only 1-phase? If so, how should the 2nd phase be disabled?
- Will the ISL78229 output UV condition be triggered if I use the TRACK function to reduce the output below 80% of the programmed regulation point?
- If I am using the TRACK function to set the output voltage on the ISL78229, what will be the OV limit?
- If the ISL78229 experiences an Input OV condition and HICCUP mode is selected, will the output voltage be discharged during the hiccup restart?
- Can I use Phase Dropping Mode in Forced CCM Mode?