- Input/output voltage range: 5V to 55V, withstands 60V transients
- Supports synchronous or standard boost topology
- Peak current mode control with adjustable slope compensation
- Secondary average current control loop
- Integrated 5V 2A sourcing/3A sinking N-channel MOSFET drivers
- Switching frequency: 50kHz to 1.1MHz per phase
- External synchronization
- Programmable minimum duty cycle
- Programmable adaptive dead time control
- Optional diode emulation and phase dropping
- PWM and analog track function
- Forced PWM operation with negative current limiting and protection
- Comprehensive fault protections
- Selectable hiccup or latch-off fault response
- AEC-Q100 qualified, Grade 1: -40°C to +125°C
- 5mmx5mm 32 Ld WFQFN (Wettable Flank QFN) package
The ISL78227 is an automotive grade (AEC-Q100 Grade 1), 2-phase 55V synchronous boost controller intended to simplify the design of high power boost applications. It integrates strong half-bridge drivers, an analog/digital tracking input and comprehensive protection functions.
The ISL78227 enables a simple, modular design for systems requiring power and thermal scalability. It offers peak-current mode control for fast line response and simple compensation. Its synchronous 2-phase architecture enables it to support higher current while reducing the size of input and output capacitors. The integrated drivers feature programmable adaptive dead time control offering flexibility in power stage design. ISL78227 offers a 90°output clock and supports 1-, 2- and 4-phases.
The ISL78227 offers a highly robust solution for the most demanding environments. Its unique soft-start control prevents large negative current even in extreme cases, such as a restart under high output prebias on high volume capacitances. It also offers two levels of cycle-by-cycle overcurrent protection, average current limiting, input OVP, output UVP/OVP and internal OTP. In the event of a fault, the fault protection response can be selected to be latch-off or hiccup recovery.
Also integrated are several functions that ease system design. A unique tracking input is available that can control the output voltage, allowing it to track either a digital duty cycle (PWM) signal or an analog reference. The ISL78227 provides input average current limiting so the system can deliver transient bursts of high load current while limiting the average current to avoid overheating.
- Automotive power system (e.g., 12V to 24V, 12V to 48V, etc.)
- Trunk audio amplifier
- Start-stop system
- Automotive boost applications
- Industrial and telecommunication power supplies
EDN Hot 100 Products of 2016: Power
The ISL78227 and ISL78229 55V two-phase synchronous boost controllers were named EDN Hot 100 Products of 2016.
Read about how to efficiently and effectively handle any and all available automotive voltages of 24V/36V and 48V in automotive power systems in a single design on edn.com »
|VIN (min) (V)||5||5||5.6||5.6|
|VIN (max) (V)||55||55||40||40|
|VOUT (min) (V)||5||5||5.6||5.6|
|VOUT (max) (V)||55||55|
|IOUT (max) (A)||>10||>10||>15||>10|
|VBIAS (V)||4.75 to 5.5||4.75 to 5.5||4.75 to 5.25||4.75 to 5.25|
|Applications||Automotive power system (e.g., 12V to 24V, 12V to 48V, etc.), Trunk audio amplifier, Start-stop system, Automotive boost applications, Industrial and telecommunication power supplies||Automotive power system (e.g., 12V to 24V, 12V to 48V, etc.), Trunk audio amplifier, Start-stop system, Automotive boost applications, Industrial and telecommunication power supplies||Automotive Power Supplies, Start/Stop DC/DC Converter, Fuel Pumps, Injection System, Audio Amplifier Power Supplies, Telecom and Industrial Power Supplies||Automotive Power Supplies, Start/Stop DC/DC Converter, Fuel Pumps, Injection System, Audio Amplifier Power Supplies, Telecom and Industrial Power Supplies|
|Max # of Outputs||1||1||1||1|
|Max # of Phases||2||2||6||4|
|Integrated MOSFET Driver(s)||Yes||Yes||No||No|
2-Phase Boost Controller with Integrated Drivers
24 Feb 2016
|24 Feb 2016||1.5 MB|
|ISL78227EV1Z Design Files|
BOM, Schematic and Art Files for the ISL78227EV1Z Evaluation Board
|ISL78227EV1Z User Guide|
ISL78227EV1Z Evaluation Board User Guide
19 Jan 2016
|19 Jan 2016||1.74 MB|
|How to Efficiently Boost Power in High Voltage Automotive Applications|
18 Apr 2016
|18 Apr 2016||315 KB|
- Can the ISL78227 be used for 12V to 48V battery charging system?
- Does the ISL78227 shut down at OC?
- Can the ISL78227 be configured to operate only 1-phase? If so, how should the 2nd phase be disabled?
- Will the output UV condition be triggered if I use the TRACK function to reduce the output below 80% of the programmed regulation point?
- If I am using the TRACK function to set the output voltage, what will be the OV limit?
- Can I use Phase Dropping Mode in Forced CCM Mode?
- If the ISL78227 experiences an Input OV condition and HICCUP mode is selected, will the output voltage be discharged during the hiccup restart?