Laser Diode Driver for Automotive Head-Up Displays
Intersil’s highly integrated ISL78365 laser diode driver pulses four high intensity lasers up to 750mA for projecting full-HD color video onto the windshield. The device's higher current and faster switching speed enables head-up displays (HUDs) with high resolution, high color-depth and high frame-rate projections.
The quad-channel ISL78365 is a complete solution for driving lasers in the scanned-MEMS laser projection systems being deployed in next generation autos.
- High speed quadruple output laser diode driver supporting up to 150MHz maximum output pixel clock
- Up to 750mA of peak current output per channel
- Fast output switching speeds with pulse rise/fall times of 1.5ns for crisp pixels
- Intersil laser voltage sampler function with integrated dynamic power optimization controller to dramatically minimize system power
- Flexible data order supports different RGB LD opto-mechanical placement
- Blanking time power reduction to reduce LDD current consumption
- Programmable multi-pulse Return to Zero (RTZ) function to provide maximum flexibility
- Single 3.3V supply and 1.8V video interface compatible for low power
- 3-wire SPI interface
- Operating temperature range: -40°C to +125°C
The ISL78365 high speed quadruple output Laser Diode Driver (LDD) is designed to support high speed RGB/RGGB laser scanning projection systems.
Each output driver channel consists of independent threshold and color DACs for greater laser control and flexibility. Separate scale DACs allow independent scaling of both threshold and color DAC output values to control the projector brightness or provide simple Automatic Power Calibration (APC) for laser based systems. Pixel data information is transferred through the LDD's high speed 10-bit parallel video interface. There are two parallel interface modes to allow 3 or 4 color pixel data to be entered efficiently. Pixel data employs a double data rate scheme, allowing video data to be transferred using both edges of the clock.
- RGB scanning laser projection system
- Laser based projectors
- Generic laser based applications requiring multiple independently controlled lasers or a single high current driver
|VS (max)||3.6 V||5.7 V|
|VS (min)||3 V||4.5 V|
|IOUT||750 mA||1000 mA|
|FMAX||150 MHz||1250 MHz|
|Rise Time||1.5 ns||0.600 ns|
|Fall Time||1.5 ns||0.450 ns|
|Applications||RGB scanning laser projection system, Laser based projectors, Generic laser based applications requiring multiple independently controlled lasers or a single high current driver||RGB Color Field Sequential Laser Projection System, Hand Held Projector, Smart Phone||Laser-based Pico Projectors, RGB Scanning and Field-based laser projection systems, Generic laser-based applications requiring multiple, independently controlled lasers||Combination DVD, CD, and Blue Writable Drives, BD Camcorders, BD Video Recorders|
|ISL78365 Data Short|
Automotive High Speed Quad Laser Diode Driver
27 May 2016
|27 May 2016||193 KB|
|Implementing Laser Scanned-MEMS Projection in Automotive Head-Up Displays|
10 Jun 2016
|10 Jun 2016||474 KB|